Tuesday, 02 February 2021, 09:50:41
At the government session chaired by Prime Minister Askar Mamin, Minister of Energy Nurlan Nogayev reported on the proposed measures to fulfill the President's instructions given at the extended government session held Jan. 26, 2021, concerning the fuel and energy complex.
Projects to strengthen southern and western regions
A working group has been created to formulate proposals for strengthening the power grids in the southern region of the country. An independent scientific institute together with Samruk-Kazyna National Welfare Fund JSC will be involved to develop a sound approach to strengthening the networks.
As part of strengthening the power grids of the western region, work will begin in 2021 to strengthen the 220 kV power grids along the Tengiz - Qulsary - Atyrau - Inder - Right Bank - Uralsk route.
For the optimal placement of these projects and new capacities, an energy balance will be developed until 2035, ensuring long-term planning. When developing the balance, a rational option will be determined for combining the electric networks of the western region with a single electric power system (December 2021).
Development of gas generation and hydropower
Taking into account the shortage of shunting capacity, the Ministry of Energy has worked out 4 potential projects for the construction of generating plants with a shunting regime of generation in the southern region of the country. In general, it is planned to launch about 1,300 MW of gas generation in the southern region by 2025.
By the end of 2025, it is planned to commission 13 HPP facilities with an installed total capacity of about 177.67 MW.
In addition, this year it is planned to hold auctions for the total capacity of renewable energy sources, including shunting hydroelectric power plants.
In general, in 2025, it is expected to bring the share of gross electricity production from renewable energy sources to 6%.
Development of new approaches to regulation of gas market
In order to implement the instructions of the Head of State K. Tokayev to develop new approaches to regulation of the gas market, to take measures to increase the resource base, the Ministry, with the involvement of international experts, is developing a draft Comprehensive Plan for the Development of the Gas Industry until 2030, which will consist of of the following areas:
- Expansion of the gas resource base.
- Ensuring uninterrupted and safe gas supply to consumers.
- Modernization and construction of gas transmission system facilities.
Reform of the gas industry management in order to increase the priority of the gas industry in government management by separating the national operator as a separate subsidiary of Samruk-Kazyna SWF JSC.
Oil and gas chemical production
The Head of State has set the task of taking measures to accelerate the ongoing oil and gas chemical production, as well as creating attractive conditions for potential investors.
Ways to solve this problem:
1. Until 2025, a national project for the development of petrochemicals will be developed, which will allow realistically developing the industry with an emphasis on solving problematic issues, namely:
- Raw materials supply for petrochemical projects.
- Creation of a petrochemical cluster.
- Development of further redistribution.
2. A separate agreement signed between the Government and the investor, taking into account its needs in the implementation of the project under the instruction of the Council of Foreign Investors, includes projects of both petrochemical and hydrocarbon raw materials. This issue is now being worked out.
3. These measures will make it possible to complete the construction of 5 plants by 2025.
- In this case, the following results can be expected:
- production volume will increase 9 times;
- projected effect on the country's economy will additionally be + 1.2%.
“Thus, the production of basic petrochemical products, being a solid foundation for the development of deep refining in the oil and gas industry, is in line with our strategy to diversify the raw material economy and strive for technological development,” the minister emphasized.
Gas processing complex
In accordance with the instructions of the President, this year it is planned to start construction of a raw gas processing plant worth $860 million with a capacity of 1 billion cubic meters at the resource base of the Kashagan field.
For the successful implementation of the project, the government has worked out a number of issues. In particular, the project is provided with raw materials, infrastructure (water, gas, electricity), the issue of financing the project has been worked out.
“The instructions of the Head of State Kassym-Jomart Tokayev, given as a result of the enlarged meeting of the Government, are under the strict control of the ministry,” Nogayev summed up.